Monday 2 June 2014

Kuromon Sanpei: Start your Day with Sushi. (Osaka Series Part 1/6)

6 piece Otoro Nigiri Sushi


I am not a "morning person" who wakes up early to a hearty breakfast, but exceptions must be made when I am in Japan soaking in the culture, weather and more importantly, just devouring delicious grub at any time of the day.

Hence, I drew first blood in great decadence as I headed to the Kuromon Ichiba Market on my first morning in Osaka, where stalls displaying fresh seafood, meats and other delectable delights were in great abundance, and it was where I stumbled onto Kuromon Sanpei.

Kuromon Sanpei is a fish supplier and retailer which has seating areas for guests who wish to immediately consume purchases of their fresh and ready-to-eat seafood, a concept similar to "Sakuraya Fish Mart" in Singapore. They also have a limited menu featuring chirashi and sushi.

Scanning through the multitude of seafood on offer, I found 6 of my little friends here calling out my name constantly. I needed no telling twice as I snagged the lacquer box containing these orgasm bombs, paid for it and headed to the sitting area to officially commence my feasting in the Land of the Rising Sun.

The flavours were explosive, rich and seductive. The fish was meltingly tender, giving way with little resistance, and indeed resistance was futile as I sat in absolute isolation from the world. Just me and my otoro.

Oh and the price? SGD $24 for 6 pieces. I repeat, 6 pieces of fatty, well-marbled otoro sushi. Go figure. ;)



Uni and Ikura Donburi. 2980 yen, about SGD $36.
I browsed through the menu as well, and the moment my eyes landed on the picture I knew it was my destiny to compound the overall indulgence of my first breakfast in Osaka even further. Think short-grain Japanese rice topped with creamy and luscious uni, and ikura that has been sitting in a marinade of sake and shoyu. This dish is a strong contender of what my last meal on earth would be.

The shop displays a wide variety of fish for you to choose, so the only problem is deciding what to eat. I recommend going in a group so you can sample more of the different catches of the day.


Kuromon Sanpei

Kuromon Ichiba Market,
2-4-1, Nipponbashi,Chuo Ward, Osaka.

Operating Hours
0900-1800 hours.

How to get there:
The nearest station to the Kuromon Ichiba Market is Nipponbashi Station, which is on the Sennichimae Line of the Osaka Subway System. There are signs that will lead you to the correct exit, and the market is a mere 5 minute walk away.

Kuromon Sanpei has a signboard in English displaying their shop, and the shop space they own is really large compared to the rest of the shops so look out for it when you reach the market.

Link to their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment