Monday 11 August 2014

Ramen Keisuke Tonkotsu King Matsuri at Parkway Parade: Less is More?


Yuki Matsuri 'Snow Ramen" with Special toppings (Pork Bone Broth Ramen with Cheese). $18.90
Keisuke Takeda's outlets are sprouting like rabbits here in our Sunny Island. With over 6 different outlets scattered all over, it is difficult to miss the name and fame which comes with Keisuke Takeda's ramen.

So it was with great joy when I saw that Tonkotsu King Matsuri replaced Ajisen Instant Noodles Ramen at Parkway Parade. "Finally, a decent ramen joint so close to home", I thought to myself.

Naturally, it was the Yuki Matsuri Ramen which stood out above the rest of its other counterparts, and I was curious to see how cheese would blend with a dish that by itself, is already so rich and hearty.

Sadly, it did not work out as well as I would have imagined.

While aesthetically pleasing, the cheese powder only served to mask the natural taste of the tonkotsu broth, modifying the flavour profile drastically. I could no longer taste the sweetness of the soup at the tip of my tongue.

Secondly, while adding considerable body to the soup, the cheese/pork broth concoction made me feel bloated and 'jer lat (read: eating until I got sick of it) halfway into the ramen. It was just too rich and overpowering for my liking.



6 pieces Gyoza. $9
But special mention and due credit must be given to the side dish for saving the day. The gyoza, while not as crispy as I would have liked, arrived piping hot and squirted out scalding, savoury juices the moment I sank my teeth into one piece. The dumplings were well-seasoned and tender, and was a wonderful complement to the Ramen.

Left: Green Tea Cola
Right: Wasabi Ginger Ale
$3.80 each
Adding a little novelty were their in-house sodas. The combination of ingredients in the soda is not as unpalatable as the Ramen with Cheese, I must say. The Green Tea Cola was fruity without being too astringent or sickeningly sweet as your typical Cola, while the Wasabi Ginger Ale had only a hint of wasabi incorporated into the Ginger Ale and gave a slight 'rush-into-the-nose' feeling. Both beverages were nicely fizzy and refreshing, especially on a hot afternoon.


Perhaps I caught them on a bad day with a long crowd (Monday after National Day, off-in-lieu given to most companies), or I might have ordered the wrong Ramen to begin with. So I would greatly appreciate any recommendations on a particular Ramen/Outlet of the Keisuke brand so I can give myself a second chance to be wowed by them.


Ramen Keisuke Tonkotsu King Matsuri
80 Marine Parade Road
#B1-18A Parkway Parade
Singapore 449269

Operating Hours:
11:30 - 22:00

+65 6440 5548

Nearest MRT Station: Bedok/Kembangan

No comments:

Post a Comment